Wednesday 17 November 2010

Blog The First: Decision Points

Hmmm.  This is quite daunting.  Somebody somewhere might actually read this so I'd better think of something witty and erudite to say.  Tricky, as after the best part of twenty years as a 'disc jockey', I'm all done with wit and eruditificativity.  (Sorry, the publication of Dubbya's new tome has affected me even though I haven't actually bought it - much like his foreign policy, in fact.) 


I threatened on Twitter a few days ago to offer some "enlightening info about the meaning of freelance life".  (I also made a mental note not to mention politics in any of my blogs.  Ooops.  Still, at least there's no geo-political hangover from Dubbya's tenure, in the context of which my blog might be misconstrued as inappropriate 'humour'.)  


So, here goes.  It may not be enlightening but I hope it'll offer a little encouragement to you if you're considering going freelance - or perhaps your employer is considering the option on your behalf...

We all face decision points every day (he says, rather obviously).  Some are conscious, some sub-conscious.  Most are not as potentially momentous or civilisation-threatening as Dubbya's, admittedly, although even he has to decide which socks to put on in the morning.  (Bit presumptuous, that, I know.) 


The most important decision I made in recent months was to leave my job of 17 years and go freelance.  Inevitably, I'm getting used to the "how does it feel?" question, mostly from former colleagues.  Well, after 17 years of institutionalisiveness (sorry, there I go again) it feels different, obviously.  Facing the future without a guaranteed regular income is daunting, although whose income is guaranteed these days anyway?  Some days are busy; some days bring new working challenges; some days offer time to blog, tweet, do the washing...  (Back in a minute - just remembered the duvet cover's still in the dryer.)


Right, where were we?


Oh yes, the best thing, without doubt, is the feeling of positivity that greets each morning.  Every day is an opportunity.  The 'phone may ring, an e-mail may arrive or the postie may knock on the door with an invitation to the Royal Wedding or, possibly more likely, that Auf Wiedersehen Pet box set you ordered from Amazon.  Of course, if clients aren't coming to you, you'll go to them.


For me, it's so far, so good.  I've met some interesting people I'd never have met in my old job.  (One of them even took me to lunch at The Ivy, which certainly wasn't on the menu in my old job!)  I've had time to think about what I want to do and where I want to be in the longer term.  I've been doing some consultancy work for an impressive and successful company whose HQ is 10 minutes' walk from my house.  I'm spending more time with my family, I am no longer a commuter, my carbon footprint is smaller (must be the socks) and - here's the thing - I'm far more positive than I ever used to be. 


And that's my point: (finally! Ed.): if you're considering going solo or you feel you may soon be made to go solo - and, of course, you're in the fortunate position of being able to do so - seize the moment.  Be positive and see every day as an opportunity.  "Easy for him to say!" I hear you cry.  Well, maybe, but if you're going to give it a try, give it a real try.  Whatever you do, don't misunderestimate the advantage a spot of positivification will give you in the marketplace.


Good luck!


(And no, I won't be buying Decision Points.  I'm perfectly capable of mangling my own grammar and syntax, thank you.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment